Please note the following before completing the form:
- If you have been convicted by a court of any offence; have been subject to a finding of dishonest or disgraceful conduct;
have been disciplined by any professional, trade or other tribunal or are awaiting the outcome of proceedings against you in a
criminal court or a professional, trade or other tribunal, you may be precluded from becoming a Freemason.
- You must be either a South African Citizen or a Permanent Resident of South Africa
(with a South African Identity Document) to be eligible to join.
- You should be over the age of 21.
- You should live in the Johannesburg area so that you can attend meetings regularly.
- There are costs involved in being a Freemason, please view them in full here:
Costs of Freemasonry
- Initiation fee R1460. (Once off amount when you join.)
- Annual membership R1250 for 2022. (This amount is discounted to some extent if you do not join at the beginning of the year.)
- You need a Dinner Suit (Tuxedo) or a black suit, formal black shoes, a white shirt and a bow tie.
- We dine after our meetings and you would be encouraged to join us, there is a moderate cost involved.
- We make regular donations to charity, this amount is at the discression of the person concerned.
- A Freemason is expected to be charitable and, in our particular Lodge, you will be expected to participate actively in at least
one of our charitable events each year.
- The process of joining Freemasonry takes between three months and a year or more.
- Freemasonry is an ancient and honourable society. Read more information about Freemasonry elsewhere in this web site.
- Your attention is drawn to the "Consent to collect and Process Personal Information" information at the bottom of the page.
CONSENT TO COLLECT AND PROCESS PERSONAL INFORMATION (POPI)
I, the abovesigned applicant (duly assisted by a competent person where I am under the age of 18), hereby agree
to the processing of my personal information for purposes of applying to the Witwatersrand Lodge No. 3745 ("Wits Lodge"),
the responsible party.
Wits Lodge is committed to protecting the applicant’s privacy and recognises that it needs to comply with statutory requirements
insofar as it is necessary to process the applicant’s personal information. In terms of section 18 of the Protection
of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013, Wits Lodge is obligated to inform you of the following:
The type of information that Wits Lodge will collect and process which will include any personal information which can
identify you, your profession and / or employer, your places of work and residence, your residence status in South Africa,
The nature/category of the information that Wits Lodge will process will relate to your suitability to join our organisation.
The purpose of processing the information will be to consider and determine admission into Freemasonry.
Wits Lodge will source the information from yourself, and other reasonable sources (where applicable).
Wits Lodge may, where applicable, transfer the information to another Lodge within our organisation but only with your explicit permission.
In terms of the United Grand Lodge of England's Constitutions, the bye laws of the District Grand Lodge of South Africa North, the
bye laws of Wits Lodge and due diligence, Wits Lodge has an obligation to obtain such information for selection and admission purposes.
Failure to consent to the processing of such information may compromise your application.
You have the right to access and to amend any information processed by Wits Lodge at any reasonable time.
You have the right to direct any complaint regarding the processing of your information to the Information Regulator.
Further to the above consent, I understand that my personal information is also protected in terms of section 50
of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act 25 of 2002 (ECT Act). In terms of section 51 of the ECT
Act, by submitting the form above I hereby provide my express permission to Witwatersrand Lodge for the collection, collation,
processing and / or disclosure of any of my personal information, without prejudice to other legal grounds upon which Wits Lodge
is permitted or required to do so.